To teach is to make a life long commitment to learning--for our students and for ourselves. Teachers must work hard to stay abreast of new science content and pedagogy, which is why most states typically require ongoing professional development for re-certification every five years. LAB-AIDS® can help teachers acquire new content and skills, whether you are a veteran teacher, new to the profession, or somewhere in between.
Introduction to the Next Generation Science Standards
This workshop will provide an overview of the NGSS, including background and context of the Standards and how they relate to previous national science standards, such as the National Science Education Standards and Benchmarks for Science Literacy. Workshop content will draw from a variety of National Science Foundation-supported curriculum to emphasize and support CPS instructional shifts in science. These shifts include a focus on teaching disciplinary core ideas that reflect real world interconnections; integrating science and engineering practices, and crosscutting concepts in all grades, while maintaining continence, coherence, and continuity. Teachers will use hands on techniques to examine the architecture of the standards, the use of disciplinary core ideas, practices of science and engineering, and cross-cutting concepts.
- Learn about the NGSS and how they relate to previous national science standards efforts
- Understand the structure of the NGSS, the DCIs, practices of science and engineering, and cross-cutting concepts
- Create their own “standards” using the NGSS three main elements to better understand the process
- What does this look like in the classroom? Brainstorm lesson sequences that address the NGSS
- Examine samples of high quality science lessons for all students, including ELL/dual language/diverse learners
All teachers will receive a copy of The NSTA Reader’s Guide to the Next Generation Science Standards by Harold Pratt and of Translating the NGSS for Classroom Instruction by Rodger Bybee. This is a one day workshop, with some advance reading.
|PD-NGSS-01||$1850, inclusive, includes books and materials for up to 20 teachers|
|PD-NGSS-02||$45, supports books and materials for each additional teacher|